Fostering the next generation of education researchers is part of RFA’s mission. We strive to bring a challenging, high-quality, and meaningful internship experience to students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Our internship program is designed to provide students with practical training in a variety of research methods (qualitative, quantitative, and policy research) and provide valuable, education-related work and research experience that combines knowledge and theory with practical application. RFA’s internship program is a unique opportunity to contribute to large-scale educational reform efforts on local, state, and national levels and doing so requires a diverse array of perspectives from our interns. RFA is committed to a diverse workforce. We value and prioritize diversity of all forms and strive to create an inclusive environment that welcomes all.
About the Internship Program
RFA hires interns year-round. The applications are rolling, and internships will remain posted until filled.
|Season||Internship Openings Posted||Internship Dates|
|Summer||March||June to August|
|Fall||July||September to December|
|Spring||November||January to May|
- Students may be eligible for Work-Study and course credit.
- Interns not receiving Work-Study will be paid a rate of $8.00 per hour
- Proper work authorization documentation is required to obtain an internship; documentation must be provided before internship can begin.
Fall 2020 Internships
Please see our employment section for more information & to apply.
Why intern with RFA?
- Work with mission-driven, experienced researchers and administrators.
- Join an organization that believes in using research to affect meaningful change for underserved students on an array of education issues and policies and translating research findings to actionable initiatives for multiple audiences.
- Gain exposure to qualitative, quantitative, and policy research methods and how we use them together to contextualize, validate, and translate our findings.
- Contribute to challenging and rewarding projects.
- Develop your content knowledge through literature reviews and occasionally conducting fieldwork.
- Practice technical and interpersonal skills that can prepare you to be an independent researcher and a must-have team member.
- Learn from workshops and other professional development opportunities.
- Acquire experience in a professional nonprofit environment.
How to apply for the internship?
- Browse internship opportunities on the RFA Employment page.
- Submit your resume & cover letter
- Attend interview
- Start the internship
- Learn, grow and enjoy the experience!
Internship Recruitment Steps
- Browse internship opportunities on the RFA Employment page. Please apply to all internships that interest you.
- Submit your resume & cover letter.
- If selected to move forward, you will be invited to participate in a standard behavioral interview with one or more RFA team members. Please come prepared to discuss your relevant research skills and interests. Or, if you haven’t participated in conducted research before, come ready to talk about how the skills that you have developed could be applied to a research setting.
RFA Internship Program at a Glance
An intern’s experience will vary based on the project they are working on and likely differ over the course of the semester. But here are some typical tasks an intern might be involved in on a given day:
- Catch up on emails / communications to learn what has been happening on the project.
- Meet with your mentor / supervisor and project team.
- Participate in project meetings.
- Attend a professional development workshop.
- Perform research tasks like transcribing or coding an interview transcript, entering and cleaning data, conducting analysis, or undertaking a writing task as assigned.
- Conduct or add to a literature review.
- Participate in qualitative fieldwork; for example, sitting in on an interview or observation.
- Revise and update project memos or reports.
Research for Action is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.