Do you want to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative environment? Do you want your research to make a difference? If so, RFA may be the place for you. Please see our job openings below. To apply for a position, please read the instructions below. Click on the job title for a detailed description. If you have any difficulties, please contact us at HR@researchforaction.org.
Make sure to check back frequently for new opportunities.
Full Time Openings
RFA is searching for a Consultant for the Allegheny County Education Research project (ACER), a new project launching summer of 2019. ACER was conceived as a localized version of RFA’s Pennsylvania Clearinghouse for Education Research project (PACER), which is designed to inform state education policy discussions through rigorous, objective research; regular policy briefs; and research-based commentaries in leading media outlets statewide. While the new ACER project will focus on Pittsburgh and Allegheny County schools, the work is also expected to have statewide implications and impact.
The Consultant will help RFA’s research team ensure that ACER examines the most important education issues facing Allegheny County in a way that is nuanced and reflective of local context. The individual should be committed to improving access to high-quality education in the area, particularly to students who are traditionally underserved, hold deep expertise in Allegheny County education policy and practice, and strong connections to public education stakeholders in the Pittsburgh area.
- Pittsburgh-based (preferred).
- Experience tracking Pittsburgh and Allegheny County education policy developments and familiarity with education policymakers and practitioners in the area.
- Experience with the various stages of mixed-methods research and with providing policy analysis in a variety of forms (policy briefs, legislative testimony, commentaries)
- Familiarity with publicly-available education datasets at the city, state, and national levels and general knowledge of the policymaking process and the existing legal framework of public education mandates.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to work collaboratively with team members on projects and ease at building rapport with interviewees, clients, and colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with academic, policy, and practitioner audiences.
- Demonstrated commitment to eliminating inequity and improving public education.
How to Apply:
Please provide one PDF document including your resume, cover letter, and writing samples. Click here to apply.
RFA is searching for a Strategic Communications Manager. The person is responsible for strengthening and managing RFA’s brand and growing its visibility. S/he will oversee RFA’s content strategy, development, and distribution, aligning with the firm’s overall strategy. S/he will engage our team, our clients, and the education sector to identify compelling topics and themes and disseminate high-value content that meets the needs clients and the target market. The manager will report to the Chief Operating Officer and work in close collaboration with program and communications staff in carrying out the work.
RFA is a highly energetic, fast-paced organization that places a premium on responsiveness and flexibility for our clients, while maintaining the highest standards of integrity, quality, and relevance in our work. Our collaborative and fast-paced environment extends to the work of the strategic communications manager.
- Master’s degree in communications or other relevant fields.
- Bachelor’s degree with relevant experience also considered.
- 5-8 years of experience developing, managing, and implementing creative communications and marketing strategies that achieve measurable results
- Ability to develop and implement strategic communications and marketing plans in partnership with senior management and research directors in the organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the education and/or education policy fields
- Demonstrated knowledge using tools and platforms including social networking (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn), website platforms such as Google Analytics, WordPress, and Wix; email marketing programs such as Survey Monkey, Constant Contact, and MailChimp, as well as the Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite desired but not necessary to promote branding.
- Experience developing and maintaining relationships with journalists, especially in the field of education or social justice
- Exceptional writing, editing, public speaking, storytelling, and facilitation skills, and meticulous attention to detail
- Team player with strong leadership and interpersonal abilities
- Highly attuned to the latest technology and trends in the communications and marketing fields
- Exhibits a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated experience as a problem solver and thought leader
- Strong leadership and project management skills with excellent organizational and planning background with the ability to manage multiple, often competing, projects
- Ability to understand, collect, analyze, and evaluate marketing/communications-related data
- Strong knowledge of website design, development and ongoing management
- Collaborative, entrepreneurial and proactive work style
- Self-motivated individual who can excel both individually and as a team player in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Experience at an issue-focused non-profit, research organization, university, or communications firm
- Excellent work ethic, enthusiasm, and positive attitude
How to Apply:
Please provide your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample such as a blog post, press release, e-news release, or other appropriate communications strategy samples. Click here to apply
RFA is seeking a creative, innovative Graphic Designer to join our communications department. This is a part-time, three-day per week (60%) position. The person in this position will play a lead role in rebranding and developing RFA’s public-facing image. S/he will lead the graphic design of research deliverables, including report design and data presentation and visualization.
RFA is a highly energetic, fast-paced organization that places a premium on responsiveness and flexibility for our clients, while maintaining the highest standards of professionalism, integrity, quality, and relevance in our work. Our collaborative and fast-paced environment extends to the work of the Graphic Designer.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, or related field and 3+ years of related experience; experience and/or education in web design/development strongly preferred
- Highly creative graphic designer who excels at creating engaging visual displays of concepts and/or data
- Finely attuned to detail to ensure that data are presented accurately, and publication design is accessible and attractive to broad audiences
- Experience designing and/or developing websites and interactive displays of data and information
- Comfortable working quickly and efficiently to meet deadlines and possesses the ability to work on multiple projects at once
- Enthusiastic about working collaboratively with staff at all levels on project-specific and organizational graphic design needs
- Highly skilled in the use of software/programs across multiple platforms, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite, on both Mac and PC platforms
How to Apply:
Please provide a copy of your cover letter, resume, a link to your website, and at least three examples from your portfolio. Click here to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, RFA values diversity. We strive to hire and retain top talent based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. Different makes us better!
Click on the job title for a detailed description
RFA is currently seeking a Policy Research Intern to join our team and to participate in supporting the ACER project. The Allegheny County Education Research (ACER) project will provide timely insight and analysis of Allegheny County public education policy and practice. The target audience for the research produced by the ACER project will be both local and state policymakers as well as the general public and educational leadership in Allegheny County. As an Intern for RFA, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with fellow interns and researchers to develop your skills and competencies across methodological traditions.
To apply, please click here!
RFA is currently seeking a Qualitative Research Intern to join our team and to participate in supporting the Say Yes project. RFA is conducting a five-year study of Say Yes to Education’s Cleveland Chapter. Say Yes Cleveland launched in January 2019 and is the fourth community chapter in the country. Say Yes works with communities around the goal of every public school student completing a post-secondary degree. RFA’s study will consider: program implementation; impact and return on investment; and, sustainability. As an Intern for RFA, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with fellow interns and researchers to develop your skills and competencies across methodological traditions.
To apply, please click here!
RFA is currently seeking a Quantitative Research Intern to join our team and to participate in supporting the quantitative components of the Say Yes project. RFA is conducting a five-year study of Say Yes to Education’s Cleveland Chapter. Say Yes Cleveland launched in January 2019 and is the fourth community chapter in the country. Say Yes works with communities around the goal of every public school student completing a post-secondary degree. RFA’s study will consider: program implementation; impact and return on investment; and, sustainability. As an Intern for RFA, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with fellow interns and researchers to develop your skills and competencies in quantitative methods.
To apply, please click here!
The intern will assist the IT Manager in the support and implementation of technology within RFA. The intern will have an opportunity to be exposed to a variety of technologies and have the opportunity to support, troubleshoot, and maintain RFA technology solutions.
Skill Set and Experience:
Knowledge and understanding (hands-on experience not necessary) of enterprise technology solutions such as Active Directory and Group Policy, Exchange, File/Print Servers, Basic Networking, and Cloud Hosted Software. Strong communication skills, Experience utilizing Microsoft Office products at an advanced level, Hands-on or virtual lab experience with Server and/or Network administration a plus.
How to Apply:
Click here to apply